Mississauga law firm offers tips to help you navigate civil litigation
Regardless of which side of the courtroom you’re on, most parties agree that civil litigation is not fun. It can be stressful and downright scary to file a lawsuit or be forced to defend one. Mr. Gary Bennett and his law firm have been helping their clients achieve the best outcomes in civil litigation for many years. If you’re facing a situation that may turn into a legal battle, Mr. Bennett offers you these tips to navigate the process:
- Remain calm: Legal battles, even professional legal battles, often feel very personal. It can cause emotional reactions and the desire to retaliate. Before you act, always seek legal advice. You may have to remember this several times throughout the civil litigation process.
- Get qualified help: You may think the case is black and white and you can defend yourself. This is often not true. A lawyer has the experience, understanding of the law, and resources to help you achieve a successful result in civil litigation. When selecting a lawyer, consider the lawyer’s expertise handling cases similar to yours, experience have arguing civil trials, and your personal comfort level with the lawyer who will represent you.
- Tell your lawyer the truth. It’s critical that you tell your lawyer everything they need to know to fight your case. You may think a small fact isn’t important or it may be embarrassing. You may even think that no one will ever find out. However, embarrassing details always come up in civil litigation. It is better for your lawyer to discover these details from you than you from your opponent. Remember, your lawyer is on your side and your conversations with your lawyer are protected by a special level of confidentiality called solicitor and client privilege.
- Consider insurance implications: Insurance companies and lawyers often go hand in hand. If you’re facing a lawsuit, you may have liability coverage that will help you cover your costs of defending a civil litigation claim. If you’re filing a lawsuit, you may also have financial coverage from your insurance company.
- Be patient: Legal disputes take time – often years – to resolve. There are many steps in the process and each side will have the proper amount of time to complete those steps. Being patient with your lawyer ensures that you make the best decisions during the life of your case.
Civil litigation lawyers fight for their clients to achieve the best possible outcome for their case. For more information about civil litigation services call the GAB Law Firm today at (365) 800-2090.